Friday, August 22, 2014

Human

Johnny performs in the US debut of his program 
to Christina Perri’s “Human” in Sun Valley, Idaho. 
Please, please click here 
for the stunning full-size image. 
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.



Selected all-exclusive photos 
from Sun Valley below!!

Plus: Exclusive video!
And much more to come!



Get your tickets ASAP!! Johnny will be perfoming
in An Evening With Champions, hosted 
at Harvard University’s Bright Hockey Center 
in Boston, MA, September 19 and 20! 
This annual charity show is a fundraiser for 
the Jimmy Fund of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. 
Yes, VIP tickets are available, which include 
admission to a meet-n-greet with the skaters. 
East Coast fans: don’t miss this one! 
Show and ticket info here.



West Coast fans: this one’s for you!! 
Tickets are available for this August 27 
charity event in northern California, 
which benefits the educational programs of the
San Francisco 49ers Academy. Though he’s not skating at
this event, Johnny will be the emcee for the evening—
and that alone is worth the price of admission. 
Event and ticket info here.



Premiering in just 60 days!! 
Johnny stars in To Russia With Love
a new documentary about LGBT athletes, 
portions of which were filmed in secret during his time 
in Sochi as an NBC figure skating commentator. 
He also is an executive producer for the film, 
a project of Robert Redford’s Sundance Productions.
More info here and on the EPIX website.




Dear Johnny, 
we believe in you, 
we support you, and 
we love you always.


Note: Candles last only 48 hours, so please visit often 
to keep the love and light shining...

Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.



Yes, he was amazing! As always.

And the 3,300-mile round trip was challenging and entertaining and exhausting, as always, 50+ hours of driving there and back, and whereas last year we took our time returning and made a little vacation out of that part, this time, with circumstances being different, we just went, saw, photographed, and turned around and drove home, though I’m really super-glad I listened to myself and booked an extra day at our hotel in Sun Valley before embarking on the return trip since because not enough caffeine in the world to cover doing it the day after the show, because the meet-n-greet—at which I happily shepherded several first-timers and during which Davey took literally 600+ photos—went on until nearly midnight because EVERYONE stayed to meet Johnny and get a photo because he was AMAZING, and he also was unfailingly patient and gracious to every. last. person., as always, because, as I may have mentioned, he’s amazing. And also a really kind and lovely man.

So there’s lots to talk about and tons of photos to get through, and thus multiple posts will be forthcoming to cover every Sun Valley moment in delicious detail, but today we’re doing something a little less massive than we’ve been doing lately here on the blog.

Because as wonderful as watching his rehearsal always is, and as brilliant as both his performances were, and as sweet and fun as the meet-n-greet was, it was immediately clear, when he glided out to perform “Human,” that this was something extraordinary.

It was absolutely the defining moment of the whole weekend.

He skated Bollywood first, a program full of intricate detail and high energy, with him in his exotic costume and makeup, and the audience totally loved it and gave him the biggest applause and cheers of the night thus far.

And then he returned late in the show for the US debut of “Human.”

He had first performed it in Japan, but no photos or videos were allowed, as is the custom there. All we had were the stunned and heartfelt reactions from Japanese fans, many of whom tweeted that they were moved to tears by his performance.

So after a second Sun Valley introduction, he skated to center ice and stopped.

And as the music drifted across the cool mountain air, he began to paint, in deep strokes and sharp slices and quick razor cuts, on his glittering and beloved and unforgiving canvas, everything he’s been through in recent months.

All the times he’s soldiered on, working hard, keeping his thoughts to himself, silently enduring tremendous private pain and public difficulties not of his making, aware that most people who meet him nowadays know truths and lies about his private life that one would never want broadcast, and yet there it all is, the elephant constantly in every room at every event, which he can never acknowledge or discuss.

So instead he put it all on the ice.

Raw. Piercing. Unforgettable.

And the audience applauded his beautiful jumps and spins, but grew increasingly hushed and still as he skated on.

They were utterly mesmerized.

And many, like the Japanese, were in tears at the end.

And so today we focus on just that moment, in selected photographs of his performance, and—at last—in video.

Johnny is a brilliantly gifted artist, an elite athlete who trains far more intensely than many realize, an incredibly hard-working man, a quick wit, well-spoken, hugely entertaining, and very much a larger-than-life figure. It’s easy to forget one of his most defining characteristics, one that we all share with one another, and that all might do well to remember, with kindness and grace, when we are tempted to comment about or judge or criticize or believe highly questionable stories about another person.

He is only human.

As are we all.



“Human”
Christina Perri

[Lyrics as used in Johnny’s performance cut of the music]

I can hold my breath
I can bite my tongue
I can stay awake for days
If that’s what you want
Be your number one

I can fake a smile
I can force a laugh
I can dance and play the part
If that’s what you ask
Give you all I am

I can do it
I can do it
I can do it

I can turn it on
Be a good machine
I can hold the weight of worlds
If that’s what you need
Be your everything

I can do it
I can do it
I can do it

But I’m only human
And I bleed when I fall down
I’m only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
’Cause I’m only human

I’m only human
I’m only human
Just a little human

I can take so much
’Til I’ve had enough

’Cause I’m only human
And I bleed when I fall down
I’m only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
’Cause I’m only human



Please click any photo twice for the full-size image. Many are huge and exquisitely detailed. They may take a moment to load, but are well worth the wait. Video is embedded below the photos.

























































Ending pose.



Video!! Johnny’s “Human” performance, Sun Valley.
Video link.



And one more. 
Post-performance, during the show finale.



Exclusive photos © David Ingogly.



And now for something completely different... 
Bonus vid!! Yes, we’ve all seen this already, but I’m sure 
no one minds suffering through it once or twice 
or 83,295,619,472 more times, amirite....? 

Via Johnny: “5 Minute dance break 
between meetings. #chandelier”

Fav response, from Anastasia Pryanikova via Johnny’s 
official Facebook page: “Whoever organizes those no-pants, 
no-shirt meetings with dance breaks in between 
should schedule more of those...” 
Yes. Whom do we contact to make this happen...?



ICYMI: Be Gorgeous Without Your Pants.”
50+ Artistry on Ice pics plus all-new videos, 
including Beijing and Guangzhou
press conferences!



Magic Becomes Art...
60+ spectacular pics from Shanghai,
including the most beautiful 
“Concubine” series yet.

Stunning fan art by 
@glace_icywaterdri on Weibo. 



Concubine.”
Beautiful mega-picspam from 
the Guangzhou livestream.

Photo art detail from an exclusive photo © Joveta Leo.



Bollywood in Beijing and Other Stories.
All the picspam one could possibly want 
of Johnny’s performance to Nagada Sang Dhol 
at the Beijing premiere of Artistry on Ice.

Photo © Maria Ma.



Love Is In Your Eyes.
Gorgeous photos of Johnny as the King’s Consort 
and partner Zhang Hao as the King in 
their stunning performance inspired by
“Farewell My Concubine,” from the opening show 
of the Artistry on Ice tour.  



Forbidden Love: The King’s Consort.
First look at Johnny and partner Zhang Hao
in their premiere performance inspired by
“Farewell My Concubine.”  

Exclusive photo © Joveta Leo.
Please, please click here 
for stunning full-size image.



The Weibocalypse Is Nigh.
Thursday rehearsal pics plus coverage 
of the Beijing press conference!
Please click here for beautiful full-size image, 
and roll around in the picspam here.
Exclusive photo © Joveta Leo.



Surrounded By So Much Love.
Wednesday rehearsal pics plus fan meeting pics!
Not all of the rehearsal was quite this serious, though.... 
Please click for beautiful full-size image,
and enjoy all the endless picspam here



Johnny and Tara’s brilliant commentary 
segment from Late Night With Seth Meyers!
Video link.
Watch their interview with Seth here.



Johnny and Dora!!
Watch his spot over and over again 
here, here, or here!



On Johnny’s website, 
linked to his retirement statement
Thank YOU, Johnny!



ICYMI: Johnny plans to discuss his personal difficulties just once, 
in an exclusive interview with Access Hollywood’s Billy Bush. 
The three-part interview is available at these links:




UPDATE: In response to a rash of erroneous reports in the media, 
Johnny spoke briefly with Access Hollywood again
to set the record straight.




Also on the blog:
“Rise Like a Phoenix”
An exquisite black-and-white series 
of Johnny at rehearsal. 
Exclusive photo © David Ingogly.
Please click twice for larger image.



Johnny’s latest column for the 
Falls Church News-Press.
His columns are published every Thursday 
in the “National Commentary“ 
section—don’t miss a single one! 



A number of Johnny’s auction items 
have been relistedwhich means if you missed out 
the first time around, you’re in luck: 
It’s not too late to own a piece of Weir Gear! 
Go check it out and see what treasures 
you could take home!



Please alert absolutely everyone you’ve ever met 
to “like” and follow the new 
on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr
Because he should be on all the things. 
With or without ice. 
But definitely with Viacheslav.



Please click to vote for Johnny 
once a day as “Best Sportsman”
Because he retweeted Luisa Lotka  to tell us he wants us to! 




Watch bonus clips online anytime on Logo!
Please be sure to check in with GetGlue
anytime you’re watching the show... 
or thinking about watching the show.... 
or wishing you were watching the show....



At last: Pop Star On Ice is now available on DVD!
Order yours today from the Pop Star On Ice website!



Johnny tweeted:
“Buy my single,’Dirty Love’ via iTunes.
Tell all your friends to as well. The more copies sold
takes me one step closer to making a video! №1!”
IN THE SAME WAY THAT IT NEEDS AIR.
You know what to do.
Please buy the song from Johnny’s website,
or just click the “Buy” button on the player at the top of the blog!



Hey, Welcome to My World also is available
as an eBook! More info on Johnny’s website!


copyright 2013 / Binky and the Misfit Mimes / Lynn V. Ingogly / all rights reserved

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a heartbreaking post. I'm crying because of every picture and every second of video. It's unbelievable "Human".My eyes see every beautiful action and every perfect technical element, but my heart feels every Johnny's emotion and what his soul tells us.I almost forgot to breathe.

Yes,he is only human.But he is such human.

Every time I thought I could not love Johnny more. Every time I was wrong.

Thank you for the post dear Binky.

Unknown said...

It's a heartbreaking post. I'm crying because of every picture and every second of video. It's unbelievable "Human".My eyes see every beautiful action and every perfect technical element, but my heart feels every Johnny's emotion and what his soul tells us.I almost forgot to breathe.

Yes,he is only human.But he is such human.

Every time I thought I could not love Johnny more. Every time I was wrong.

Thank you for the post dear Binky.

Unknown said...

“My skating is how I speak. And I speak from my soul.”
~ Johnny Weir

Johnny is cute, pretty, and funny. He amuses. He loves his fashion and his meticulousness. And I appreciate all of it. But it is not why I am a fan of Johnny Weir. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, there was this kid who was skating his heart out. He was different and stood out and I wondered who is this child who is leaving his heart on the ice? I watched as he grew in skill and finesse and no matter what anyone said about him he kept on getting out there on the ice looking like he was skating from his heart. I would wince silently as his critics bombasted him and supported him with every YouTube watch click, every TV performance, and every poll about him I could take part in. I bought his book, watched his series and his performances on various television shows hoping that one day more of his critics could not deny what they were seeing in front of them - a really decent human being who works very hard at his craft and loves what he does. And then the Sochi Olympics came and he spoke on a worldwide stage. You saw him on occasion during his tenure in Sochi, but what captivated me and so many others was that earnest, sincere, measured and educated voice telling us about a sport he truly loved and had dedicated his life to.

To paraphrase Maya Angelou, people will forget what you did and said but not how you made them feel. Johnny Weir makes me feel proud to know of him, to be able to watch his kindness to the people who admire his talent and his smile. His patience with them as he entertains every little anecdote they have to tell him or every piece of paper they ask him to sign. He accepts their flowers and their gifts with humility and grace even though his body and soul are tired from a long trip. You can’t fake that. This guy is the real deal.

And so yes, despite all of the accolades we can shower upon him, all the support we can give him, and all the pedestals we put him on, he is only human. Just like you and me. So your words Binky were prophetic. We who don’t know him personally can surmise that he’s had some rough patches, made some decisions he wishes he hadn’t made. But don’t we all? He’s human. Success is measured in how you rebound from your failures and he has learned that lesson well.

“If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise. . . . . . “

I accept he has made Rudyard Kipling’s words his mantra because he lives them every day before our very eyes. Why am I a fan of Johnny Weir? Because he speaks from his soul. Thank you for sharing that magnificent performance.

aaaack said...

Johnny skates away with people's hearts because he puts his soul into his skating, and puts his skating into his soul.

Between the backdrop of Russian threats and personal sadness and pain, Johnny soldiered on, true to himself and with a brave face, forever catering to the entertainment needs of his Olympic audience and employer. To continue to provide heartfelt expression, reassurance, and sympathy while enduring great pain is the mark of a great soul.

aaaack said...

P.S. If the skating powers that be want to increase skating's popularity, they should allow tights to be worn. In the same vein, swimmers and divers don't have to wear bloomers nowadays, and not for decades.

Unknown said...

Now that I'm home I thought I'd take the opportunity to view this blog on a full size screen, not just my phone and oh! I'm glad I did. I don't know if I skimmed past them last time because I was too anxious to get to photos and video, or if my nephew was creating havoc, but for whatever reason this time your words really resonated with me, and thank you for including the Human lyrics because they really are a dreadful indictment of his suffering. I've watched the video of Human a number of times, but this latest time, with your words and those lyrics in the forefront of my mind it was even more powerful. I have this image in my mind of him wanting to shout out the cold hard truth and not being able too, having too much dignity and class, just having to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, and that this performance was those feelings laid bare, for those who cared to see them, even if it's taken me a while to really get there. So thank you for sharing, the photos, the video and your thoughts.